Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown 18: Christmas Tree #8 - What's afoot?


Advent Blog Day 8 - What's afoot? 
A shoe tree - no, not that kind of shoe tree that makes your shoes fit better - a Christmas shoe tree. These designer shoes in appropriate Christmas colours make a spectacular display especially with the sparkly shoe on top. 




Do you think trees of thongs ( flip flops) and hiking boots  stack up as well? 
https://twitter.com/exeter_students/status/540473848572178432

http://thebwd.com/palladium-christmas-window-display-2012/

 Ballet shoes, particularly pointe shoes,  seem an obvious choice for dance companies to recycle worn shoes. Given the Nutcracker Suite is a favourite ballet of the Christmas season,  a ballet shoe  tree shouldn't really be a surprise - this video shows what an English ballet company did. 



https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/127086020708886031/?lp=true

From Tripadvisor photos 

We all don't have so many shoes which match ... Here is what a village did in Bali. This massive charity tree was created from abandoned  and second hand shoes and after Christmas, any shoes  in good shpae were donated to children and families in need. 

Link


And in this festive season, let's not forget our animal friends - you might just have a few horse shoes lying around to create this fun tree. 

I'm happy so many are counting down to Christmas with me -  I'm enjoying this and I hope you are too. What might tomorrow's Christmas trees be created from? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

Covid Man and Book Print

  This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind...  Original drawing - Wilma Simmons   Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons  Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons  And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year.