Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown 12: Christmas tree #14 - Seashells by the seashore.


Decorative shell trees


Advent Blog  Day 14 - Seashells by the seashore 

 Shell tree
In the 1800's decorative gifts  called sailor's valentines were made with seashells. It is then not too much of a surprise to hear that Christmas trees created  from shells are a popular decor item, especially if one lives near a beach.  My favourites are the more unusual shells with naturally beautiful colours.   

Blue green limpet shell tree
Cone shell tree

Mussel shell tree

While these tabletop Christmas trees are all beautiful, I am more impressed by the community effort of the people in Sorsogon, (Philippines). They created a tableau of 30 Christmas trees and many lanterns all made from  discarded seafood shells - 'baluko'  (pen shell). 


Baluko trees in Sorsogon, Philippines
 These trees were built a little over 5 metres tall and each took a small team about five days each to construct. Not only was the collection of the shells for this project a waste management solution to the growing piles of baluko shell litter along the foreshores, the Christmas trees attracted tourists to the town, thus boosting the economy.

Shells by themselves have a lovely lustre, but I guess at Christmas a little extra sparkle  can be expected .   
Oyster shells with pearls 

Shells and sea glass 

Shells and beads 
 With only a couple of weeks to Christmas now, there's probably not enough time to collect  enough sea shells to make a tree, but perhaps a Christmas tree ornament ?  A Nutcracker ballerina or a Christmas angel ? 
Nutcracker ballerinas 



Sea shell angel tutorial 
What a great theme for an Australian Christmas - Seashells by the sea shore! And tomorrow - just a bit of extra sparkle for your Christmas... 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

Fragments

 Some days are just your lucky days - today I was very fortunate and privileged to open the first ever Australian exhibition "Fragments" by  UK  Fibre Artist  Sue Hotchkis .  Here is a little about the techniques of this amazing textile artist from her own website  ...  Working intuitively with print and stitch, marks, textures and colours are exaggerated, intensified to reveal the detail and complexity within the images. Materials are deconstructed using modern methods, ripped, burnt and dyed. Time is invested in their reconstruction; pieces can take from a week to several months to create. Whilst being aesthetically pleasing the work can also act as a metaphor for deterioration and ruin, associated with urban decay and ultimately death and loss. They evolve organically, built up with layers of print, cloth, paper, and stitch into three-dimensional abstract forms that hover between object and image; to create a unique, visual and tactile lan...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher.