Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown Characters #7


Grinch - watercolour and ink -Wilma Simmons
"Today is your Day" ... G is for Grinch
The Grinch hated Christmas! The whole Christmas season!
Now, please don't ask why. No one quite knows the reason.
It could be his head wasn't screwed on just right.
It could be, perhaps, that his shoes were too tight.
But I think that the most likely reason of all
May have been that his heart was two sizes too small.
  ( from 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas')


A creation of the famous Dr Seuss, the Grinch is a green, grumpy, anti-festive recluse who is annoyed by the happiness of others and gains pleasure from the act of spoiling other people's celebrations. "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" tells the story of  the Grinch's fiendish quest to ruin Christmas for the citizens of  the town of Whoville. The Grinch sets about stealing Christmas decorations and gifts from all the Whos' homes. Amazingly, the Grinch discovers that even though there were no presents, the good people of Whoville continued to enjoy Christmas with their families.

As Lou Lou Who says ," I'm glad the Grinch  took our presents. You can't hurt Christmas because it isn't about the... the gifts or the contest or the fancy lights. That's what Cindy's been trying to tell everyone... and me. I don't need anything more for Christmas than this right here: my family."

Convinced that there must be something more to Christmas than crass commercialism, the Grinch decides to return the stolen gifts and joins in the Whoville Christmas celebrations. Perhaps the Grinch was inspired by the character of Ebenezer Scrooge from "A Christmas Carol" - the similarities are there. There  certainly is no contest for a prize for Christmas meanness and  sudden change of  heart , so let's just say both Scrooge and the Grinch exemplify,in the end,  that the Christmas spirit cannot be conquered and will flourish in all who have an open  heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

STITCHED UP Exhibition

"Heartbroken" by Nancy Crawford ( Canada)  Stitched Up  is an exhibition featuring 24 contemporary international and national textile artists on show at  The Lock Up  from Friday 23 June 2017 until 6 August 2017. It coincides with the 150-year anniversary of The Newcastle Industrial School’s opening; and is resulting from a partnership between The Lock Up and Timeless Textiles galleries. Stitched Up is co-curated by Anne Kempton (Creative Director Timeless Textiles Gallery) and fibre artist Wilma Simmons, both from Newcastle NSW. .  This exhibition conceptually provides a  voice  for the 193 girls who attended the Newcastle Industrial School, translated into contemporary fibre art. "Memory Cloths " (193) by Anne Kempton, Australia  The title  Stitched Up  is very apt in two ways… Firstly, each of the artworks has been stitched – mostly by hand for many hours – capturing the story of ‘The Girls’. The artists hav...