Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown 15 - Trifle

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/494270127828176926/
Another family favourite for today's Christmas Countdown - trifle. It is very popular festive dessert for a summery  Aussie Christmas party . What prompted me to choose "trifle" today was a "recipe" I read this morning in a junk mail catalogue from a supermarket. It sounded very inviting - strawberries and cream trifle , but when I read that you make a packet cheesecake in a bowl, then place jam sponge rolls slices on top of that and then add scoops of jelly, strawberries and cream on top of that , I initially  thought "No"! However,I suppose the essential ingredients of a trifle are all there -  fruit, sponge cake, jelly, cream and  custard ( provided by the cheesecake mix). I thought I should check  and here is what I found on a British food site 

Trifle is the quintessential pudding that has graced British tables for more than four centuries. It is simply, the quintessential British pudding, striking in its blousy looks,  decadent, rich and simply luscious. Some will boast jelly, some not; fruit is a must-have for some, for others, no way. Essentially a trifle needs sponge soaked (if for adults) in sherry, a thick layer of creamy custard and deep layer of lightly whipped fresh cream; the rest is all about personal preference. Some trifle recipes are quick - made using ready-made packs which simply require assembling - these are OK but do not come close to the flavour of a home made one.
The earliest trifle  was  sweet cream,  with  added sugar  ginger and rosewater (a recipe in a 1596 edition of  "The good huswife's Jewell" . Over the next 60 years, eggs were added and the custard was then poured over alcohol saoked bread.  Jelly was a later addition in the 1700's made from bones of calve's feet  (from Wikipedia).   So, in modern times, the ingredients of trifle haven't changed much -  it would appear that sherry is a special addition for the grown up version in most recipes. Here is another example ...
For a fabulous Christmas trifle layer some sponge fingers with raspberry jam and fresh raspberries, sprinkle over some sherry and then add a raspberry Jelly, custard and cream. Top it all off with some fresh raspberries and toasted almonds for a truly special Christmas dessert... sounds so simple 

Nothing much more to add, except that a good trifle creates family traditions and stories to tell for years after - isn't that all part of celebrating Christmas? 



from http://www.centralillustration.com
If you have missed any of the daily December posts in the Christmas Countdown series, either scroll down for the most recent  or check the blog archives list on the right.... 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

"Temari Or Not Temari?" Tutorial

 Background Information:  Temari (literally translated “hand ball”) is a Japanese folk craft that is alleged to have originated in China and was introduced to Japan five or six hundred years ago. Traditionally, the balls were constructed from wrapped kimono fabric remnants and silk threads. They were made by mothers and grandmothers for children to play with. Nowadays, decorative embroidered temari represent a highly valued and cherished gift symbolizing friendship and loyalty. Recently I've wondered if your don't use traditional techniques whether you should call what you create "temari". That is an ongoing debate but today I share what I do to make a "non-traditional temari".... 1.I start  with a polystrene ball ( traditionally the balls were wound  silk scraps or other organic materials) and begin to wrap with approx 4 ply wool, turning the ball as I wrap.  2. I then wrap another layer of wool in a similar fashion , this time a 3 or 2 ...

Wednesday's Child /2

Work in Progress - 3 of the 193 for "Stitched Up"- Wilma Simmons   The work for the "Stitched Up " Project  continues. See the previous "Wednesday Child" post for the background to this art project celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Newcastle Industrial School. I have been documenting the progress of my work, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of the early stages of the "stick dolls" ... Here are some of the beginning steps.. Sticks collected while walking the bushland in my neighbourhood  Drying and getting rid of any insects - oven heat 75 degreesC for approx 1-2 hours.  Trimmed and cut if necessary  Ends sealed with matte sealing solution.  Drying  - solution goes on white but dries clear.  First wrapping - foil to create a body shape  Second wrapping - stretch fabric.  Third wrapping - fabric strips  Some stitching - more stitching and embellishment to ...