Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown 8 : Chicken


 from http://www.postscriptcomic.com
For the last few days I have been sleeping in a bedroom decorated with prints of the Eiffel Tower, so  in the Christmas Countdown, I just had to include the three French hens - hence the delightful vintage print. There was a time, at least in my memory, when roast chicken was a dish for special occasions and the only poultry served for Christmas dinner.

I still love roast chicken with roast vegetables, with stuffing and gravy and am happy with it for Christmas even though my husband makes the best stuffed turkey! I think that in more recent times, roast chicken has become less festive and more a family dinner favourite.  What is your favourite poultry for Christmas?
roast turkey from taste.com.au
roast goose from taste.com.au 
These days, the humble "chook" has been overshadowed by Christmas turkey or even duck or goose. However, in Japan, chicken remains the top Christmas choice, but alas,  the Japanese have made KFC chicken their Christmas treat. It is so popular that at Christmas time in Japan, you often have to place your order for the fast food chicken about a fortnight ahead! Hard to believe, because to me nothing about KFC chicken reminds me of Christmas - sorry! I will still be roasting my chicken in my own oven at home, but I have added a recipe for a really delicious stuffing which will make the everyday roast chicken  the "hero" of the Christmas menu. 

  • Ingredients
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Pistachio & cranberry stuffing

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

Covid Man and Book Print

  This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind...  Original drawing - Wilma Simmons   Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons  Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons  And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year.