Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown Local 2022 #3/25 - Wheeler Place




Christmas Countdown 3/25 

Right in the centre of the CBD in Newcastle NSW stands a towering Christmas Tree...  Newcastle's Wheeler Place  ( Civic Theatre, Hunter Street) will play host to festive fun as the  City Civic precinct comes to life with an 11-metre-high Christmas tree and family-friendly activities.

The tree’s lights were switched on  a few days ago by Newcastle Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes with the help of Santa and his elves, signalling the start of festivities for families to enjoy in the lead-up to Christmas.

 I visited the Christmas tree last Wednesday and while there were very few people around during the day, it still looked magnificent  against the backdrop of the iconic round building of the Crystalbrook Kingsley, a five star hotel which was formerly the City Council Administration offices. 




 Cr Nelmes said the City’s signature Christmas tree and free program of activities will help activate Wheeler Place and draw people into the city centre this Christmas.

"We hope that the sight of our Christmas tree and the free, fun activities will help spread joy amongst friends and families, while also encouraging visitors to support our city centre's local businesses,” Cr Nelmes said.

"There is no better time than the lead-up to Christmas to shop locally, enjoy a night out at one of our city’s local bars or restaurants and show your support for Newcastle businesses, both in the city centre and surrounds." 

from Latest News City of Newcastle 



On Sunday 4 December before the Christmas festivities take place, thousands of passionate football fans are expected to descend on Wheeler Place  to watch live the Socceroos take on the might of Lionel Messi and his Argentinian teammates in a World Cup sudden death match in Qatar.

City of Newcastle will host an open-air broadcast of the World Cup thriller, offering Novocastrians a chance to cheer on the Australians in their round of 16 clash with the footballing heavyweights. The live site will bring all the action of the World Cup to Newcastle, offering a family-friendly way for locals to enjoy the atmosphere and cheer on their football heroes from home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

"Temari Or Not Temari?" Tutorial

 Background Information:  Temari (literally translated “hand ball”) is a Japanese folk craft that is alleged to have originated in China and was introduced to Japan five or six hundred years ago. Traditionally, the balls were constructed from wrapped kimono fabric remnants and silk threads. They were made by mothers and grandmothers for children to play with. Nowadays, decorative embroidered temari represent a highly valued and cherished gift symbolizing friendship and loyalty. Recently I've wondered if your don't use traditional techniques whether you should call what you create "temari". That is an ongoing debate but today I share what I do to make a "non-traditional temari".... 1.I start  with a polystrene ball ( traditionally the balls were wound  silk scraps or other organic materials) and begin to wrap with approx 4 ply wool, turning the ball as I wrap.  2. I then wrap another layer of wool in a similar fashion , this time a 3 or 2 ...

Wednesday's Child /2

Work in Progress - 3 of the 193 for "Stitched Up"- Wilma Simmons   The work for the "Stitched Up " Project  continues. See the previous "Wednesday Child" post for the background to this art project celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Newcastle Industrial School. I have been documenting the progress of my work, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of the early stages of the "stick dolls" ... Here are some of the beginning steps.. Sticks collected while walking the bushland in my neighbourhood  Drying and getting rid of any insects - oven heat 75 degreesC for approx 1-2 hours.  Trimmed and cut if necessary  Ends sealed with matte sealing solution.  Drying  - solution goes on white but dries clear.  First wrapping - foil to create a body shape  Second wrapping - stretch fabric.  Third wrapping - fabric strips  Some stitching - more stitching and embellishment to ...