Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown Local 2022 #5/25 - Glow

 

Nowruz celebration - artwork  from  Pinterest

In my quest to sight local festive celebrations, I didn't expect to find out about Nowruz which is the Persian word for 'new day', a celebration which marks the coming of Spring. 

Last week I visited Glow, a skin and beauty shop in  Elder Street, Lambton, the suburb where I live in Newcastle NSW. I had a treatment by my usual therapist, Samira. We started talking about Christmas and  I asked Samira about the most important day of the year in her background culture which is Iranian. She told me about Nowruz, which  has its Zoroastrian origins dating back 3,000 years. 

I knew very little about this celebration and its rituals... like Christmas and other Christian traditions , it is a time for families - good will, gift giving and feasting. 

 The 'haft seen' table is the crowning glory of Nowruz, and the backdrop for every photo shared in family group chats. Everyone will have their own version of the haft seen table, and who doesn't love a little friendly competitive energy around the best spread?
Traditionally, every haft seen table has at least one of each of these seven things that all start with 's' in Farsi: 

  • Apple (seeb) 
  • Vinegar (serkeh)
  • Dried fruit from an Oleaster tree (senjed)
  • Sumac (sumac)
  • Garlic (seer)
  • A sweet wheat-based pudding (samanu)
  • Grass or wheat sprouts (sabzeh)

Combined, the effect is like bearing witness to a kaleidoscopic, eclectic altar. Each item also carries symbolic meaning for the year ahead: garlic for good health; senjed for love; vinegar for patience. Most people also add things like coins as a good omen for wealth, along with hand-painted eggs, books of poetry, mirrors, candles, and goldfish  From .ABC Everyday 

Can you spot the items in the artwork above?



 

 Samira very willingly posed for a photo with Christmas decorations in the salon, although she doesn't follow the usual Christian  Christmas practices and even admitted she didn't really like Christmas cake . However,  it was a well known Australian supermarket brand of fruit cake. I reassured her that homemade Christmas  fruit cake tastes much better! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

Fragments

 Some days are just your lucky days - today I was very fortunate and privileged to open the first ever Australian exhibition "Fragments" by  UK  Fibre Artist  Sue Hotchkis .  Here is a little about the techniques of this amazing textile artist from her own website  ...  Working intuitively with print and stitch, marks, textures and colours are exaggerated, intensified to reveal the detail and complexity within the images. Materials are deconstructed using modern methods, ripped, burnt and dyed. Time is invested in their reconstruction; pieces can take from a week to several months to create. Whilst being aesthetically pleasing the work can also act as a metaphor for deterioration and ruin, associated with urban decay and ultimately death and loss. They evolve organically, built up with layers of print, cloth, paper, and stitch into three-dimensional abstract forms that hover between object and image; to create a unique, visual and tactile lan...

Wednesday's Children and Others.

STITCHED UP is now in its third week of exhibition and breaking all records of visitors - such an overwhelming response - so it is inevitable that a few people have had their photos taken with Wednesday's children,  the stick doll installation.... First of all, Ben, a member of the amazing installation team at The Lock-Up. Thanks for taking such care installing 'the girls' - the digital laser level worked wonders and did I hear you talking to a few them?  Ben from the  installation team The Lock-Up  Wednesday's children up on the wall.  Then, of course , my own family - not all positive critiques, but you can't win them all!   Many of my friends have been really supportive.... they have even visited a few times. Here are some of my Rotary friends on the opening night. Members of the Rotary Club of Wallsend-Maryland - Clarice, Cia, Sandy, Wilma, Christine   Unexpected visitors even dropped by las...