Skip to main content

Arty Alphabet Days 1-5


My cousin alerted me to this Instagram challenge called  #everydaycreativeatoz hosted by artist, Jennifer Cockcroft . Here is  a summary of what Jennifer says about this challenge in her blog

 "Everyday Creative A to Z challenge!
This really is as simple as it sounds - every day the prompt will be a letter of the alphabet (we'll work through them in order so nobody gets confused!), and all you have to do is post something related to that letter.

I want you to really let your imagination run free with this and post whatever you like!

I know we're in the lead up to Christmas, but there's absolutely no requirement for you to post festive images if that's not your thing - or if you're a total Christmas freak then please go right ahead!
  • You could stick to a theme in your posts, or mix and match each day depending on your inspiration..... 
You get the idea - there really are no rules with this, and if you like you can switch and change and post something different every day, or skip some days and just pick your favourite letters."

Here are my first five days ... 
A&B : Because I didn't actually start until 28 November, I used one photo for both letters. ART and BALDNESS . This is a photo of me, soon after I shaved my head for a charity fundraising supporting the Zero Children's Cancer Campaign. The art is by Brisbane based artist, Sylvia Watt whose portraits here are obviously of bald women. This photo set a theme for me for the rest of the challenge to post an "arty" alphabet...
C: COW COLLAGE  Followers of this blog know that I tear up bits of paper and use them in an attempt to create artistic collages. I sometimes include postage stamps in those collages after being inspired by the work of Jette Clover earlier in the year. Jette encouraged us all to try to practise art each day with a simple exercise of making a small collage for a card - here's one of them!
D: DAY of the DEAD DOLL  I created this doll after winning a set of fabric markers in a raffle. It started with a piece of white cotton and I drew on it , sewed it up, filled it with fibre fill and then painted over the edges of  the raw fabric.
E:  EMBROIDERED EGG and EGG CUPS I have been collecting egg cups for over 40 years, so I have a large collection.... I like to stitch temari too. So here is an embroidered egg sitting in one of my eggcups with part of my egg cup collection in the background. Just for the record, we love boiled eggs!
Watch this space for other posts about my arty alphabet .... and soon a Christmas Countdown for Advent! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Countdown #25envelopes/9 : Holly

  9 December Christmas Countdown #25envelopes : Holly . The Druids of ancient Britain believed holly leaves had great powers of fertility and longevity . Nowadays, Holly has become a symbol of a Christian Christmas. It is also said that the sharp holly represents the crown of thorns that Jesus wore, and the red berries the blood he shed, so it has quite a religious significance. Today’s envelope is a simple collage with paper and fabric. I couched (stitched) Holly ribbon and embroidered French knots for the berries. The Holly theme is inspired by one of my favourite Australian Christmas stamps, depicting an angel with holly leaf wings . Today, I was stitching the holly ribbon onto the envelope at the Wednesday group and had planned to glue on some paper berries but a friend convinced me that embroidered ones would look much better and I think she is right!

#SeptTextileLove26 Day 4

 #septtextilelove  #stl26day4  … Story-telling … making ‘art dolls’ gives wonderful opportunities to tell stories … This matriarch’s story  is intertwined with the cicadas which form  part of the soft sculpture  and emphasises what appears to be a contradiction about nurturing life and inevitable death... Cicadas spend years underground as nymphs feeding on root sap, emerging en masse as winged adults for a few days, perhaps a week, to mate and lay eggs in tree branches, then die, leaving the eggs to hatch into new nymphs that burrow underground to restart the cycle.  The dormant underground phase of the cicada’s life can be from 2-17 years! In my interpretation, this forest matriarch offers a safe place for cicadas to lay eggs, only to cause their own demise … but the continuing life cycle is ensured. 

Christmas Firsts #18 : Where in the World?

Where in the world will FIRST  experience Christmas Day? Because of the time zones and daylight saving , the first places will be   Samoa,    Tonga  and Kiritimati (Christmas Island) . They   are the first places to welcome Christmas. New Zealand and Australia see in Christmas Day soon after,  while American Samoa and Baker Island in the United States of America are among the last. These statistics are more often quoted in relation to New Year's Eve, but I think it seems appropriate that Christmas Island is one of the first to celebrate Christmas in the world.  Kiritimati,    or Christmas Island, is a Pacific Ocean raised coral atoll in the northern Line Islands. It is part of the Republic of Kiribati. The name "Kiritimati" is a respelling of the English word "Christmas" in the  Kiribati language   The island has the greatest land area of any  coral atoll  in the w...