Skip to main content

The 100 Day Project - Cool Colours

Cool colours 
As I proceed with #The100DayProject, I often notice that I have a preference for certain colours in a sequence of a few days.   The last three days have certainly been cool colour days.  Cool colours include green, blue, and purple, are often more subdued than warm colours ( the red/organge/yellow palette). Cool colours are reminiscent of night, of water, of nature, and are usually calming, relaxing, and somewhat reserved.
I am not sure if there is any hidden meaning here - perhaps I am now relaxing into the COVID social isolation restrictions and the slower pace of life? 

14/#100pinpoems 

Day 14: 
Stepping quietly,
Too loud an interruption 
Startled magpies fly. 
Materials: paper, fabric, thread, paint, safety pin 
Techniques: painting, stitching, collage. 


Day13: 
Shy flower faces
Spreading soft gentle colour
Native violets 
Materials: cloth, upcycled doily fragment, thread, safety pin 
Techniques: dyeing, stitching, collage. 


Day 12: 
Walking local paths
Nature's marvels are revealed
Green seed pods hanging. 
Materials : paper, fabric, paint, thread, safety pin 
Techniques: paining, stitching collage. 

And now Week 3 begins... if you would like to see  my other wearable pins in this series, follow the hastag #100pinpoems on Instagram or look for the other blog posts tagged with the same label. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

Fragments

 Some days are just your lucky days - today I was very fortunate and privileged to open the first ever Australian exhibition "Fragments" by  UK  Fibre Artist  Sue Hotchkis .  Here is a little about the techniques of this amazing textile artist from her own website  ...  Working intuitively with print and stitch, marks, textures and colours are exaggerated, intensified to reveal the detail and complexity within the images. Materials are deconstructed using modern methods, ripped, burnt and dyed. Time is invested in their reconstruction; pieces can take from a week to several months to create. Whilst being aesthetically pleasing the work can also act as a metaphor for deterioration and ruin, associated with urban decay and ultimately death and loss. They evolve organically, built up with layers of print, cloth, paper, and stitch into three-dimensional abstract forms that hover between object and image; to create a unique, visual and tactile lan...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher.