Skip to main content

Sea Glass Shanty


Wondering if I have the time,  I tentatively registered for the TextileArtist.org  Stitch Club. I started late but I have come to terms with being behind and will do the exercises when I feel in the mood ... my new formula  is: 
(collection of ideas + good mood + time opportunity)  - (hesitation + self doubts) = happy project 

 So this weekend, it was time to tackle the first workshop by artist, Debbie Lyddon. No problem with "ideas" This is what Debbie says..... 

" I walk, look and listen, I pick up an object and put it in my pocket. I make a container for it and place it ... in a place where I gather interesting objects together. I make connections and I tell stories.... 
This workshop is drawn from my love of walking, collecting, being curious , telling stories and making....  The challenge is to make three hand-stitched containers for a collection of three objects, natural or man made..."  from Stitch Club workbook 

 I painted cloth as suggested by Debbie - watered down  acrylic paint. . Then,  I thought as I wanted to make tiny containers for small pieces of sea glass that the cloth should be reminiscent of the ocean. Previously I have created art cloth which I called "Coastal Dreams" so I decided to reproduce this . There is such comfort in doing something familiar as a start to trying something new - a happy memory exercise. 

This art cloth is like a sea shanty itself. It rollicks along with space and time for improvisation.  Torn up bits of newspaper, threads and scraps of cheese cloth were applied with watered down paint mixed with gel medium. I then free motion machine stitched  over the whole cloth when dry, with the main purpose of making sure all the added bits were secured. Randomly, I stamped some patterns with rubber stamps and acrylic paint and highlighted areas with metallic rubs and wax crayons.Previously, I have used art cloth created like this for sculptural pieces ( samples pictured below) , so I was confident that this art cloth  made stiffer with  paint and embellishments would be really suitable for "containers "


With such beautiful thread in a shade called "Sandy Bay " all my materials were aligned with the theme. I chose three pieces of the brown glass to work with, and traced their shapes roughly to make templates for containers. Following Debbie's instructions, making grommets from wire for " peep holes" and  hand stitching, I worked with rhythms of the ocean and before long, a series of containers with enticing glimpses of what they contain.  While these containers brown glass, I also made the happy discovery that other coloured pieces also fit. 


What next  with these - Shall I keep them as Debbie does in a place where special pieces gather to tell stories? Shall I add a cord to make a pendant? Or a pin to make a brooch? Will they be ad addition to one of my dolls ? ... or shall I just make some more? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

Covid Man and Book Print

  This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind...  Original drawing - Wilma Simmons   Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons  Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons  And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year.