Skip to main content

That was August ...

 August  Instagram Photo Challenge - a photo a day challenge as a daily reminder to be well in Winter  #bewellinwinter.  left to right, top row to bottom row. 
1. Stockpile - my stockpile of used tea bags, ready for art  projects. 
2. Blankets - tidied up the spare bedroom - don't the blankets look great so neatly folded? 
3. Animal - there's a bear in there! 
4. Soup - my favourite soup recipes are from a very old recipe booklet 
5. Social -  the Flying Free project is as much a social activity as a creative one. 
6. Strength - my tai chi teacher demonstrating that there is nothing stronger than gentleness. 
7. Refresh - the instructions said 'refresh your browser' .... so I did. 
8. Flowers - woolly flowers on my friend's hat
9. To do list - "put the suitcase in the boot of the car" - only one thing on my husband's to do  list today - yes, it was done! 
10. Fire - smoke alarms are mandatory  ... in case of fire. 
11. Mantra - instead of a  New Year resolution
12. Get moving - have shopping trolley and get moving! 
13. Connect - connecting with  my aunt at the craft show. 
14.Water - more water , more steam, easier ironing? 
15. Learn -grandchild minding is always a learning experience.   
16. Inner Child  - making dolls feeds my inner child.
17. Heat - hot curry! 
18. Play - playing with photos on fabric - textile art project.  
19. Cook -  no cooking , just reheated soup on a sick day. 
20. Birds - more birds from the Flying Free project 
21. Fun - daily nerdy fun - cryptic crossword 
22. Keep Warm - no need to keep warm on an unseasonally warm day. 
23. Art -Flying Free Community Art Project
24 .Leaves - upcycled wool jumper, eco dyed with eucalypt leaves 
25 .Mindfulness - some zen doodling. 
26. Shopping list - efficient husband - shopping done. 
27. Tea - first pickings Dragon Well green tea. 

28. Earth - playing 'earth" related games 
29. Colour - no prizes for guessing Miss Five's favourite colours.
30. Clean - I was supposed to clean up but I used the rubbish to make new fabric! 
31. Spring - Change of season .... The seasons are what a symphony ought to be - four perfect movements in harmony with each other.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

"Temari Or Not Temari?" Tutorial

 Background Information:  Temari (literally translated “hand ball”) is a Japanese folk craft that is alleged to have originated in China and was introduced to Japan five or six hundred years ago. Traditionally, the balls were constructed from wrapped kimono fabric remnants and silk threads. They were made by mothers and grandmothers for children to play with. Nowadays, decorative embroidered temari represent a highly valued and cherished gift symbolizing friendship and loyalty. Recently I've wondered if your don't use traditional techniques whether you should call what you create "temari". That is an ongoing debate but today I share what I do to make a "non-traditional temari".... 1.I start  with a polystrene ball ( traditionally the balls were wound  silk scraps or other organic materials) and begin to wrap with approx 4 ply wool, turning the ball as I wrap.  2. I then wrap another layer of wool in a similar fashion , this time a 3 or 2 ...

#the100dayproject : Inspiring Women Days 1 - 4

#The100DayProject is a *free* global art project that takes place online 🎨 E very year, thousands of people all around the world commit to 100 days of creating. Anyone can participate . ​The idea is simple: choose a creative project, do it every single day for 100 days, and document and share the process online. 2026 is my 8th year of participating. I have stitched daily observations, painted my egg cup collection, collaged postcards and envelopes, written poems, explored colour palettes .... this year I am researching, sketching and stitching 100 inspiring women. Fortunately I purchased a piece of beautiful linen, with preprinted outlines of 100 women ... just one issue - the figures are tiny (height 6cm /2.5 ins) My first week started tentatively ... I thought I would start with Empress Wu, after whom I named my creative activity. This is when I discovered how difficult it is to applique and stitch on these very small figures - I used tweezers to put pieces of fabric down, tried t...