Skip to main content

Be Strong, Be Gentle.

Art doll/photo : Rose Keemun by Wilma Simmons
Quote by Han Suyin 
I love this saying, by Han Suyin . It probably sums up her life as much as any of her writings.
Han Suyin, 1916-2012 ( Elizabeth Comber ) physician and author, had a Chinese - Flemish background. She is best known for her  strongly autobiographical fiction with a bi cultural setting , a clash of  values, traditions and ideas.  Her novels were  A Many Splendoured Thing, My House has Two Doors, and The  Crippled Tree. 
Younger  Han Suyin
Xiangwei, her editor writes: 
In the 1970s and 1980s, Han Suyin was frequently mentioned in the news in China. At least one hundred million people were aware of who she was. Before I become the editor of her books, her name only meant to me as a political figure. Every person of my age knew she was the biographer of Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai. But the publication of 'A Many-Splendored Thing' presented a rather different personality in her. She was such a sensitive person with great literary talent. I admired her for the depth of her thoughts in dealing with her relationship."
The eliciting descriptions of the tender hearts, chivalrous spirits, the infinitely affectionate relationship and the beautiful scenes on the hillside overlooking the Victoria Harbor have attracted many readers around the world, and made it into a successful Hollywood hit  from http://english.cri.cn/8706/2012/11/13/2241s732425.htm

 And probably this short article written after her death reinforces Han Suyin's  strong-gentle approach to life.... here's an extract...

Han Suyin defiantly straddled two worlds decades before multiculturalism became fashionable.
"We must carry ourselves with colossal assurance and say, 'Look at us, the Eurasians!' " the half-Chinese, half-Belgian physician and author whose career swept across continents and historic upheavals wrote in "A Many-Splendoured Thing," the 1952 novel that made her an international celebrity.


PS And here's an Australian connection.Han Suyin's second  husband , Leon Comber, author, multi-liguist and highly respected literary consultant and editor, was appointed Honorary Research Fellow at Monash University in 1991. They had been divorced since 1958. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

Covid Man and Book Print

  This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind...  Original drawing - Wilma Simmons   Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons  Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons  And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year.