Skip to main content

Locks and Keys for Tag Tuesday




For once, I have actually made tags for Tag Tuesday on Tuesday...  Wendy has  challenged us with this fortnight's theme  "Locks and Keys". For my first tag, I chose a  pre-cut "person" shape and simply pasted a page from a magazine which coincidentally was an advertisement for an event, called "Finders, Keepers" , I added some eyes behind some spectacles also cut from the same magazine, and a little lock embellishment to the ties. I originally was going to collage the shape with images of locks and keys but couldn't find enough but I thought the words were apt for this theme.
My second tag for this theme is also a cut out from the same magazine.... the background "mansion" and the key ring. While the metal ring looks metal in this photo it is paper, and the key is a plastic one, made to look a little antique. While both these tags are super simple and were very quick to make, I enjoyed the almost accidental creation of these tags.
Remember to go to the Tag Tuesday site to look at what other talented artists are creating or join in yourself and post your creation for the theme.


Comments

  1. Wow, Tuesday tags on Tuesday - I am impressed! Both tags are lovely, I especially love the second one! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool tags - very creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tags, and very different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this isn't your most recent post Wilma but for some reason the comment box isn't opening on it. But I will say I love your lock and key tags. And I am glad you commented a second time since your first comment went right into my spam. I joined up to follow you because I really enjoyed my browse through. Hope your week is going well. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and please share your thoughts about my blog post by leaving a comment.Your comment won't appear immediately as comments are verified before publication in an effort to reduce the amount of spam appearing. Anonymous comments will not be published.

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

Covid Man and Book Print

  This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind...  Original drawing - Wilma Simmons   Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons  Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons  And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year.