Monday, January 13, 2014

Blue Textiles



 I love working with blue .... much of my recent work is blue. In the latter part of last year I saw blue everywhere - I stitched a series of blue temari (embroidered thread balls) and felted dolls in shades of blue. 

- Blue Temari  - "Layered" exhibition ,January 2014. 
Blue felt doll - Bonnie 

Blue felt doll - Maribel 
I love the colours of the traditional Willow Pattern… these blues induce a sense of calm and peace and the sight of a blue bird is often seen as a symbol of happiness and contentment…. One of the works in the current "Layered" exhibition by the Newcastle Creative Embroiderers and Textile Artists is  Blue Bird which was completed in December. I  covered a  wire frame  with different fabrics, which have been felted, stitched by hand and/or machine, painted and stamped, dyed. This textile art is a derivative of an earlier collaborative work created for International Women’s Day 2013.

Blue Bird - "Layered" exhibition , January 2014 


Close up of  textile art - Blue Bird 
My  new work for the Contemporary Craft Retreat in October 2014 are some mixed media collages on canvas. Blue again.... 

Willow Pattern Collage. 


Blue Represents
Communication: Blue relates to one-to-one verbal communication and self expression.
Peace and calm: Blue induces calm and peace within us, particularly the deeper shades.
Honesty: Blue is the colour of truth.
Authority: The darker the color blue, the more authority it has.
Religion: Blue is the colour of devotion and religious study.
Wisdom: Blue enhances the wisdom of the intellect.
from http://www.empower-yourself-with-color-psychology.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and please share your thoughts about my blog post by leaving a comment.