Skip to main content

UFO's Already?

I started the year really well with a schedule for finishing projects - this obviously didn't last very long. Here I am  just starting the third week of January  and already my timetable has collapsed- with a UFO - Unfinished Object...The photo above  is a beaded doll in progress. Hopefully by posting it in this state this week, I will be able to post a photo of the finished project next week? However, here is one doll which I did finish during the week . The doll looked so Asian that I chose a maroon oriole for her bird companion. The Maroon Oriole is a strikingly coloured bird whose usual habitat is the tropical and sub tropical forests of South East Asia.

I think the main reason for being behind schedule is that I also helped our grandson make some animated movies during the week. It was a lot of fun - setting up the various scenes, but I now have a lot more respect and admiration for animators. I took over 100 photos to make a 7 second animated movie - all under the close direction of my  seven year old grandson. We are very proud of  his creative efforts.  Here are the links to the movies. Movie 1 and Movie 2

And it was the second week of TAG TUESDAY with a theme of Snow Sports. I made two for the TT blog  and then another two with photos of our beautiful Finnish exchange daughter who is a keen snow sportswoman.

 Hope you will pop in at TAG TUESDAY and go to the homepage to see all the amazing tags from mixed media artisits from many different countries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Countdown #25envelopes/9 : Holly

  9 December Christmas Countdown #25envelopes : Holly . The Druids of ancient Britain believed holly leaves had great powers of fertility and longevity . Nowadays, Holly has become a symbol of a Christian Christmas. It is also said that the sharp holly represents the crown of thorns that Jesus wore, and the red berries the blood he shed, so it has quite a religious significance. Today’s envelope is a simple collage with paper and fabric. I couched (stitched) Holly ribbon and embroidered French knots for the berries. The Holly theme is inspired by one of my favourite Australian Christmas stamps, depicting an angel with holly leaf wings . Today, I was stitching the holly ribbon onto the envelope at the Wednesday group and had planned to glue on some paper berries but a friend convinced me that embroidered ones would look much better and I think she is right!

#SeptTextileLove26 Day 4

 #septtextilelove  #stl26day4  … Story-telling … making ‘art dolls’ gives wonderful opportunities to tell stories … This matriarch’s story  is intertwined with the cicadas which form  part of the soft sculpture  and emphasises what appears to be a contradiction about nurturing life and inevitable death... Cicadas spend years underground as nymphs feeding on root sap, emerging en masse as winged adults for a few days, perhaps a week, to mate and lay eggs in tree branches, then die, leaving the eggs to hatch into new nymphs that burrow underground to restart the cycle.  The dormant underground phase of the cicada’s life can be from 2-17 years! In my interpretation, this forest matriarch offers a safe place for cicadas to lay eggs, only to cause their own demise … but the continuing life cycle is ensured. 

#SeptTextileLove Day 5

  #SeptTextileLove #STL26Day5   ‘Caring’ … so much of what textile artists do involves caring - for the environment , for others, for our own health and well-being , for social justice, for our art … today I’m advocating caring about sourcing our materials . I use lots of embroidery thread and it is sometimes tempting to buy cheaper imported threads than the ones I really love to work with, - hand dyed right here in Australia by a small    family business . I looked at one of the omnipresent online ads with its    incorrect spelling and the suggestion that bulk is better gives strong    hints about the ‘quality’ and the price makes me wonder about the working conditions and rights of those who produce and package the thread?    I care that the people who make the materials I use get a fair wage and work in safe conditions. I also care that the quality of the materials I use are the best I can afford and have the least negative impact on ...