Skip to main content

Christmas Countdown 2023 Revisited


 My best intentions of blogging about my Advent paperfolding last month went awry ... a little like a New year's resolution, I suspect. However, I decided today to revisit the Christmas Countdown and create a summary of all of the Christmas themed  paperfolding I completed in December 2023. 

And here they are in no particular order... 

Day 15 - an eight pointed star ( which I think if folded in a different colour, would have made a great poinsettia flower) 

Day 14 - an owl ( perhaps Hedwig  from the Harry Potter series?) 

Day 12 - a  3D Christmas ornament 

Day 11 - a Christmas tree 

Day 10 - a swan  ( 7 swans a-swimming - the other 6 didn't materialise) 


Day 19 - an 8 point pin wheel ( I made this twice as a present decoration, instead of a ribbon) 

Day 18 - a Christmas wreath 

Day 17 - lots of folded hearts  so many that they were made into a   Christmas garland 

Day 13 - 4 calling birds ( the leader in black and white and the others in shades of blue!) 

Day 16 - a red woven heart


Day 24 - a peace crane 

Day 23 : My granddaughter made the reindeer I was trying to fold and I settled for an interlocking star 

Day 21 : another 3D ornament which slots together. 

Day 20 : my favourite 5 pointed Christmas stars. 

Day 22 : a dimensional  interlocking star - looks simple, but was difficult to get the elements to  fir together! 


Day 9 - the Bethlehem star 

Day 6- Christmas stocking with a candy cane

Day 4 - Summer cicada 

Day 7-  Lotus star 

Day 5- Santa Claus looking a little triangular 

Day 2 - Pendant ornament

Day 8 - "Home for Christmas " 

Day 3 - Green Cockatoo  

Day 1 - Simple pinwheel 


And here are some of the websites  which provided the inspiration for this series of paperfolding - Advent 2023. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Precious to Waste

 Stitched tea bags/ old doily "tea lights" - Wilma Simmons  More than a year ago, a decision was made.  The annual exhibition of NCEATA ( Newcastle Creative Embroiderers and Textile Artists) 2015-2016 will have the theme "Mottainai". Mottainai in Japanese refers to more than just physical waste (resources). It is even used to refer to thought patterns that give rise to wasteful action. Grammatically, it can be used in Japanese as an exclamation ("mottainai!") or as an adjective phrase ("it feels mottainai"). There is no plural form. The collection of mottainai things could be called mottainai koto ( もったいない事 ? ). As an exclamation ("mottainai!") it means roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste." [2]  A simple English equivalent is the saying "waste not, want not." A more elaborate meaning conveys a sense of value and worthiness and may be translated as "do not destroy (or lay waste to) that

May I Present Mrs Chalumeau...

Finally Mrs Chalumeau takes a bow …She is a Pearly Queen … 695 buttons on the doll and 10 on the journal.(I think – could be more). I would like to thank Paula from Antiques and Collectables here in Hamilton, Newcastle and Raku Buttons ETSY seller for supplying me with about 500 of the vintage mother of pearl buttons, and the rest I had in my stash. I think they look great on my pearly queen, but I am truly tired of sewing on buttons. It made me think however, how many buttons must be on the elaborate clothes of the real pearly Kings and Queens! I drew my inspiration from the lovely lady pictured here, and the following description from Wikipedia. ... A Pearly King ( feminine form Pearly Queen) is a person dressed in a traditional Cockney costume covered in mother-of-pearl buttons. These costumes were treasured heirlooms, hand made and sometimes representing much of a family's wealth. .... This doll is all cloth – a little different from most of my other dolls which generally h

"Temari Or Not Temari?" Tutorial

 Background Information:  Temari (literally translated “hand ball”) is a Japanese folk craft that is alleged to have originated in China and was introduced to Japan five or six hundred years ago. Traditionally, the balls were constructed from wrapped kimono fabric remnants and silk threads. They were made by mothers and grandmothers for children to play with. Nowadays, decorative embroidered temari represent a highly valued and cherished gift symbolizing friendship and loyalty. Recently I've wondered if your don't use traditional techniques whether you should call what you create "temari". That is an ongoing debate but today I share what I do to make a "non-traditional temari".... 1.I start  with a polystrene ball ( traditionally the balls were wound  silk scraps or other organic materials) and begin to wrap with approx 4 ply wool, turning the ball as I wrap.  2. I then wrap another layer of wool in a similar fashion , this time a 3 or 2