Skip to main content

A week of #SeptTextileLove Days 4-10

 

Another week of  sharing love for textiles with the Seam Colelctiv'es social media cahllenge #SeptTextileLove.... 




Day 4:  PLAY 

Most days , I play with materials , but I do love art and craft play dates with my grandchildren. All four of them and I have enjoyed creative play - these pics are ten years apart(2022-2012), so they suggest I am still playing and fabric dyeing has obviously been a ‘messy’ favourite .

The tie dyeing kits are great for easy play - the squirt bottles can be managed by all ages. and the results are instant!





Day 5 : PATTERN

Over the last couple of years I have been experimenting with a technique which uses the decorative pattern stitches on a sewing machine. Using overlapping and layering different colours and patterns on scraps of fabric, with varying distances between the rows of stitching, a completely different patterned fabric is created. So, in a sense I use various tiny patterns to create a whole pattern . I am using this technique more and more to create unique textured patterned backgrounds.





Day 6 : LOOP
One of the first things I think I learnt with wool was to make what I called chains of loops . The idea was to practise until the loops were the same size and the same tension … from the ‘Basics of Crochet’ … ‘every single crochet pattern that you will ever try to follow will include the phrase "draw up a loop" so it is important that you learn what this means and how to do it early on in your crochet journey. ‘ Getting the loops just right seems to help with these quirky birds





Day 7 : COLOUR Red has power, the power to change the story


Day 8 INSPIRATION/INFLUENCE

‘ What surrounds us is what is within us’ . Most of my work is influenced by my surroundings , where I live … the trees and plants in my garden and my own beautiful neighbourhood .


Day 9 : ‘THREAD’

Temari (hand balls, sometimes called thread balls ) … ‘Temari are a form of folk art that originated in China and were introduced to Japan in the 7th century. Originally, they were made from herbs and leather, and noblewomen of Japan developed theirs from silk and kimono scraps. The temari is a symbol that represents great loyalty or a valued friendship. In modern day Japan, mothers make them for their children as part of New Year's celebrations…’




Day 10 : DRAWING

Drawing … I don’t think you need a reason to draw … some days it’s with a pencil and some days I use my sewing machine to doodle - just for fun.




Watch this space for further updates as the month rolls by.... Next week Days 11 -17





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

STITCHED UP Exhibition

"Heartbroken" by Nancy Crawford ( Canada)  Stitched Up  is an exhibition featuring 24 contemporary international and national textile artists on show at  The Lock Up  from Friday 23 June 2017 until 6 August 2017. It coincides with the 150-year anniversary of The Newcastle Industrial School’s opening; and is resulting from a partnership between The Lock Up and Timeless Textiles galleries. Stitched Up is co-curated by Anne Kempton (Creative Director Timeless Textiles Gallery) and fibre artist Wilma Simmons, both from Newcastle NSW. .  This exhibition conceptually provides a  voice  for the 193 girls who attended the Newcastle Industrial School, translated into contemporary fibre art. "Memory Cloths " (193) by Anne Kempton, Australia  The title  Stitched Up  is very apt in two ways… Firstly, each of the artworks has been stitched – mostly by hand for many hours – capturing the story of ‘The Girls’. The artists hav...