Skip to main content

#the100dayproject - What ? Why?

 


Some of you may have heard about  #the100dayproject ... What is it? 

Every year, thousands of people all around the world commit to 100 days of creating at the same time. Anyone can participate . The idea is simple: choose a creative project, do it every single day for 100 days, and share your process on social  media using the hashtag #The100DayProject, connecting with other participants and followers of the project. 
This year #the100dayproject started on 13 February and finishes on 24 May ,  if you count consecutive days. Some participants take up to 2 years to complete 100 days of creating! 
The first step is usually to decide on a personal project ... this year, I decided to do something simple and late last year,  I purchased a box of 100 pantone colour postcards. 
As I am also preparing a much bigger project, based on the "exuberance" of colour, I thought this would be a great way to move gently into the project and practise working with various colour combinations. 

What I learnt from previous years of participating in this project is that whatever the project is it needs to be manageable and an easy fit into your lifestyle. This year, I have really simplified and  fine tuned my approaches to the  project -  it has to be a process which

- uses materials which are easily accessible, recycled or found : 
- does  not take up too much space or time, ( ideally 15-30minutes on a small table) 
- needs no financial layout ( only the cost of the postcards - no further purchases ) 
- results in small artworks which can be used/gifted ( in this case posted to friends) 
- will help to develop techniques and skills.  

My project #100pantonepostcards2022  is exploring colour through collage and stitch.

 Every day, the base  is already prepared and I collage small scraps of paper and/or fabric (stitched or not) .  I use a simple glue stick and sometimes, some matte medium as my adhesives. My "away from home" kit comprises a small glue stick, a small envelope of  fabric and paper scraps,  a few postage stamps, a needle and  black, white and red  thread, scissors, a black felt tipped pen  and however many of the postcards I need.  What I don't have in my small travel kit, I usually gather wherever I am.  For the first 13 days this year, I improvised a lot as I was not at home. I used  bits of brochure pages, the back of my airline folder, some chocolate wrappers, and tea bags - there were even a few coloured threads in the bottom of my bag! 


I have  often been asked WHY I do this or what do I gain from doing this project. 

 There really isn't a definitive answer to why I do this - I think I am the kind of personality who likes a challenge and likes working in series. I also know that I benefit  greatly from regular practice and like to commit to a process of improving my skills ( in bursts, at least) .
I also like the process of recording how I feel about the project in a journal , or as is obvious, in this blog.  

As I try to devote 20-30 minutes to a daily art practice , 100 days isn’t too much of a stretch depending on the ‘rules’ I set for myself .  One year I combined stitching with walking - about 5k daily and another I wrote a haiku to go with each little pin/brooch . I enjoy the discipline, the accountability, and the opportunity to experiment and practise . 

The bonus is the sense of community - about 8000 worldwide making and sharing art for 100 days together . This year  these Pantone samples are perfect preparation for a bigger artwork … and I will have  arty postcards to send to friends at the end of it  - bonus ! I think I said to a friend yesterday, if I get 10 good postcards out of 100 , I'll be happy . 


 In #the100day project nothing is mandatory- you set your own parameters so I guess  all participants ( now over 13,000 in the FB group) each gain something different but share the common sense of  creativity, achievement and commitment. 

Please follow my #100pantone postcards2022  on Instagram @empress.wu.designs or on Facebook  @Empress.Wu.Designs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Precious to Waste

 Stitched tea bags/ old doily "tea lights" - Wilma Simmons  More than a year ago, a decision was made.  The annual exhibition of NCEATA ( Newcastle Creative Embroiderers and Textile Artists) 2015-2016 will have the theme "Mottainai". Mottainai in Japanese refers to more than just physical waste (resources). It is even used to refer to thought patterns that give rise to wasteful action. Grammatically, it can be used in Japanese as an exclamation ("mottainai!") or as an adjective phrase ("it feels mottainai"). There is no plural form. The collection of mottainai things could be called mottainai koto ( もったいない事 ? ). As an exclamation ("mottainai!") it means roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste." [2]  A simple English equivalent is the saying "waste not, want not." A more elaborate meaning conveys a sense of value and worthiness and may be translated as "do not destroy (or lay waste to) that

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as wrapping str

May I Present Mrs Chalumeau...

Finally Mrs Chalumeau takes a bow …She is a Pearly Queen … 695 buttons on the doll and 10 on the journal.(I think – could be more). I would like to thank Paula from Antiques and Collectables here in Hamilton, Newcastle and Raku Buttons ETSY seller for supplying me with about 500 of the vintage mother of pearl buttons, and the rest I had in my stash. I think they look great on my pearly queen, but I am truly tired of sewing on buttons. It made me think however, how many buttons must be on the elaborate clothes of the real pearly Kings and Queens! I drew my inspiration from the lovely lady pictured here, and the following description from Wikipedia. ... A Pearly King ( feminine form Pearly Queen) is a person dressed in a traditional Cockney costume covered in mother-of-pearl buttons. These costumes were treasured heirlooms, hand made and sometimes representing much of a family's wealth. .... This doll is all cloth – a little different from most of my other dolls which generally h