Skip to main content

Covid Man and Book Print

 

This is my tag for the current theme at Tag Tuesday - Book Print. I like using text as a background for tags and today, I reduced one of my recent  line drawings and printed it on a small book page .... as you can see,  the book's chapter is entitled "Of Holy Living and Dying ( from The Book of Books) .  I thought this was appropriate as this 'Covid man' drawing depicts Nature happily thriving while man appears to be "unravelling " at the edges of body and mind... 

Original drawing - Wilma Simmons 

 Silk screen print on fabric  : Wilma Simmons 

Silk screen print on paper : Wilma Simmons 

And here are some other tags on book print backgrounds - these are free motion stitched "Nature" portraits done earlier in the year. 



Comments

  1. Hi Wilma, these are all fabulous. I love your drawing and the thoughts behind it, well done. Thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday again, much appreciated. Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie - this was a fun drawing, more a doodle - enjoy your week, too

      Delete
  2. Fabulous, luv that you did the silk screen printed fabric
    Have a nice Tuesday. Stay safe

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow ~ That Covid man image is really thought provoking. I kind of feel like I have someone plucking the thoughts right out of my head sometimes too. I started making a book page collage like you showed previously and will have to decide what to add to the front next. Enjoy your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think we all feel as though we are unravelling a bit sometimes. Have fun with the collage.

      Delete
  4. Wow Wilma, your tag is amazing..The man is awesome and so current, I think we are all fraying at the edges due to the virus. The rest of your work on your page is fantastic...love it all.xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous design which looks so well on EVERYTHING!! Thanks for joining us at Tag Tuesday.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok, all of this is pure brilliance! i love reading about your thought process with COVID man and he is excellently executed, you are amazing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous art this week Wilma, love them all. Lovely to see you on Tag Tuesday again.
    Hugs Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your Covid Man! Great idea behind this drawing. Have great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tag and I love the use of the print for the background, fabulous idea..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and please share your thoughts about my blog post by leaving a comment.Your comment won't appear immediately as comments are verified before publication in an effort to reduce the amount of spam appearing. Anonymous comments will not be published.

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

STITCHED UP Exhibition

"Heartbroken" by Nancy Crawford ( Canada)  Stitched Up  is an exhibition featuring 24 contemporary international and national textile artists on show at  The Lock Up  from Friday 23 June 2017 until 6 August 2017. It coincides with the 150-year anniversary of The Newcastle Industrial School’s opening; and is resulting from a partnership between The Lock Up and Timeless Textiles galleries. Stitched Up is co-curated by Anne Kempton (Creative Director Timeless Textiles Gallery) and fibre artist Wilma Simmons, both from Newcastle NSW. .  This exhibition conceptually provides a  voice  for the 193 girls who attended the Newcastle Industrial School, translated into contemporary fibre art. "Memory Cloths " (193) by Anne Kempton, Australia  The title  Stitched Up  is very apt in two ways… Firstly, each of the artworks has been stitched – mostly by hand for many hours – capturing the story of ‘The Girls’. The artists hav...