Skip to main content

29 Faces - February 2017

 Here I am again taking up the 29 Faces Challenge in February . If you remember last year, I created 29 faces on used tea bags and celebrated the achievements of women too.  Here is a link to my 29 Faces of Worldy Women. 29 Gaces is an art  challenge set by  Martha, Ayala Art and for more information go to the 29 Faces blog. 


 There are many paint artists who take up this challenge, but I am not a portraitist and work mostly with textiles, so it is all fun for me to use paint, pencils and ink. This month, I m going to make small series of tags celebrating the seasons and the natural elements. I am going to use all my scraps of painted or dyed paper I have in storage... left over bits of art paper I have used to roll off excess paint from brayers, or test out colours - there is plenty to make 29 small tags!


#29 Faces #1 /Summer : Wilma Simmons 
#29 Faces #2/Summer :Wilma Simmons

Keep following my progress with this challenge - I will try to post every couple of days . 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SeptTextileLove26 Day11

#SeptTextileLove #STL26Day11 ‘Language’ …when symbols in stitch say more than words … my wonderful  Wednesday Makers group  has undertaken a community peace project ‘Petals for Peace’ - stitched prayer flags depicting flowers , symbolic of peace. . We have stitched many ourselves and other stitchers from all over Australia  have also been contributing as an impactful counter to the hate speech which seems to have pervaded  our world currently - the powerful language of stitch. 

#SeptTextileLove Day 12

  #SeptTextileLove #STL26Day12 ‘Friendship’ … This is a story of friendship based on the love of textiles and fibre art . Gallerist and artist, Anne Kempton and I have been friends for 15 years , meeting when we had both retired from ‘ top’ jobs in a government department and a high school respectively. Neither of us were the retiring types - Anne was establishing the first commercial textile art gallery in Australia and I was looking for a creative direction. We discovered we were both driven by a sense of social justice and community and shared similar artistic aspirations . Since then, we have co- curated exhibitions, collaborated on many projects. supported community art and women’s causes, and grown in our individual artistic expression - Anne includes more stitching in her work and she has had a more painterly influence on mine . Moreover, this friendship is multifaceted, deep and personal and one I value and treasure . Thank you, Anne.  

Stitching Stories of Strength

  Last month, I was interviewed by Sian Goff , textileartist.org and here is the resulting article  Member Spotlight: Wilma Simmons  Stitching stories of strength When Wilma Simmons retired at 55 after a career as a high school principal, she made herself a promise: whatever came next would be creative. Two decades later, that promise has grown into a practice rooted in storytelling, sustainability, and a deep respect for the women who came before her. Based in Newcastle, Australia, Wilma has become a fixture of the textile art world, a longtime volunteer at the Timeless Textiles Gallery, a two-time solo exhibitor, and a member of Stitch Club almost since its very first year. Talking with her, it's easy to see why her work resonates: every piece carries a narrative, and every material has been chosen because it means something. Wilma Simmons , Thorax with Eucalyptus. Wilma Simmons , Wall, inspired by Ana Buzzalino. From clay and jewellery to cloth Wilma's crea...