Skip to main content

Newspaper Houses

Having recently attended a workshop with Ines Seidel, at Timeless Textiles, I am enjoying creating with paper and especially newsprint. Here is  this week's tag for Tag Tuesday, my online art tag challenge group. The theme was "Down the street ... A row of houses".  It was inspired by a black line drawing I saw, but cannot find it again or the source. So if anyone recognises it, I would be happy to acknowledge the original.
However, I have used a completely different technique and the style of houses  and the "moon" are also different. I cut out some columns from the travel section of the Sunday paper - some of the words relate to housing and buildings  and pasted them down on a magazine page. I then used black felt tipped pen to draw in rooftops and  houses. The section of  visible street is also a newspaper photo from the same section of the newspaper. I like the idea of lights shining through windows, so made this a "night" scene with a very large full moon. The moon is a piece of dyed absorbent paper, which just happened to be lying around on my desk - left over from the 'bees" project. 
I haven't been able to find time to do these weekly challenges with Tag Tuesday for a couple of months, but have thoroughly enjoyed the last two I completed. There are artists who never miss a week, so hope you might visit the blog and check them out. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

STITCHED UP Exhibition

"Heartbroken" by Nancy Crawford ( Canada)  Stitched Up  is an exhibition featuring 24 contemporary international and national textile artists on show at  The Lock Up  from Friday 23 June 2017 until 6 August 2017. It coincides with the 150-year anniversary of The Newcastle Industrial School’s opening; and is resulting from a partnership between The Lock Up and Timeless Textiles galleries. Stitched Up is co-curated by Anne Kempton (Creative Director Timeless Textiles Gallery) and fibre artist Wilma Simmons, both from Newcastle NSW. .  This exhibition conceptually provides a  voice  for the 193 girls who attended the Newcastle Industrial School, translated into contemporary fibre art. "Memory Cloths " (193) by Anne Kempton, Australia  The title  Stitched Up  is very apt in two ways… Firstly, each of the artworks has been stitched – mostly by hand for many hours – capturing the story of ‘The Girls’. The artists hav...