Sunday, December 9, 2012

Arty Places #10 2012 : Clayhouse

Gundaroo NSW : Sally Paskins Store 
Gundaroo, a village about 35km north of Canberra, takes you back in time. Most of the buildings  in the main street of the village are typical of 19th century Australia  - slab huts, wattle and daub, stone and local brick. What a delightful place! Although I lived in Canberra  for over three years, I am embarrassed to admit that I only discovered Gundaroo last week while attending a family wedding. There are  a few arty places in Gundaroo, but I really liked the work of Leanne Percival of Clayhouse and so Clayhouse becomes Arty Place #10 ( most likely the last arty place in this series for 2012). 



 I really like Clayhouse pottery ... I think there is an appealing simplicity and a  trendy cleanness  about the shapes and patterns in a "happy" colour range. 





Clayhouse is very much at home in Sally Paskins Store, a slab hut,  built in 1886 with  kauri floors,  newspaper "wall paper " from the period, and  a brick chimney . 







Sarah ('Sally') Paskins ( who died in 1892)  was an interesting character who was renowned for keeping  a cockatoo on the counter in the shop. These days, Leanne doesn't have a cockatoo, but her silent guard dogs ( sculptures) are a talking point. While this photo depicts Leanne as rather serious, she is a very friendly, personable, talented  and obliging artist. I enjoyed chatting and learning a little about the history of the building and the area. Thanks, Leanne! 


 I love the little egg cups I bought at Clayhouse, and have some creative plans for them. In the meantime, they have happily settled in with  my egg cup collection. 




When you are next in the area, I hope you will enjoy a visit to Gundaroo, and especially to Clayhouse in Cork Sreet,  Gundaroo or at least visit on Facebook  .  
PS Also recommend the Cork Street Cafe and Grazing  Restaurant - great food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog and please share your thoughts about my blog post by leaving a comment.