Skip to main content

#SeptTextileLove26 Day 7

 


#SeptTextileLove #STL26Day7
‘Historical’ ... Family history is often a source of inspiration and information for my work. This stitched work featuring a photo of my great grandmother also acts as a commentary on the Chinese historical practice of foot binding, hence the inclusion of an x ray photograph of a female bound foot. It looks painful and undoubtedly was , but it was considered 'beautiful". What contemporary body shaping practices do we still engage in for the sake of ‘beauty’?




Historical body shaping practices included tight-lacing corsets, foot binding, and neck elongation, all used to mould the human form into culturally defined ideals of beauty. (AI overview)
Foot Binding in China
Starting from Song elites and eventually popularized and ended in the Qing dynasty, foot binding was seen as an idolized representation of women's petite beauty, and the practice was referred to as "三寸金莲" , 'three-inch golden lotus' Wikipedia.
This practice involved tightly wrapping young girls' feet to break the bones and stunt growth. Small feet were considered a supreme marker of elegance, refinement, and high social status.
Corsetry and Tight-Lacing in the West
To achieve this in reality, the corset became a popular undergarment among women in the Western world from the late Renaissance into the 20th century CNN.
Heavy boning made from whalebone, steel, or wood compressed the torso. It aimed to drastically reduce waist size while accentuating the hips and bust to create an exaggerated hourglass figure.
Neck Elongation with Rings
In various global cultures, such as among the Kayan people of Myanmar and parts of Africa, brass coils or rings were progressively added to the neck. This practice pushed the collarbones down and compressed the ribcage, creating the visual effect of an elongated neck, which symbolized grace and beauty.
Skull Deformation
Several ancient civilizations, including the Maya, the Huns, and the Indigenous peoples of the Americas, practiced artificial cranial deformation. Infants' heads were bound with boards or cloth to shape the skull into elongated or flattened profiles. This permanent modification often indicated nobility, tribal identity, or aesthetic distinction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fish and Sticks : Art Dolls

This week I've been working on fish and sticks ....  The sticks are the message stick art dolls which were very popular, attracting some attention and a few orders at the Wise Women exhibition. Each of the message stick dolls are from the Wise Women series, each with her own personality and  message of wisdom, handwritten on a handmade timber tag. I gather the sticks during my walks around my neighbourhood and the tags are made from special bits of timber, some collected by me or  my husband or from off cuts gifted to us  from another doll making friend whose husband makes bagpipes. These dolls start off very simply with a wrap around a stick, in the general shape of a body. 'Naked" message stick dolls - strips of wadding wrapped around found sticks.   Then I usually wrap other layers of fabric, wool, and/or fibres, over which I do some simple embroidery. I sculpt  or mould small face masks for these dolls. I really like using "sari ribbon" as w...

In the Pink

  At Tag Tuesday . Pinky O' Hagan is hosting a tag challenge which  asks for 'a bit of pink".... not so difficult if you like pink.  I don't use a lot of pink in my work, so it was quite a bit of a challenge when I thought only of pink - my thoughts went to pink roses, pink hearts, pink confectionery !!!  Then I referred to this week's colour prompts, #coloricombo by artists Este MacLeod.... pink with sap green, dark tea, and sea green. I'm not sure I got the colours in this palette exactly, but here is my tag, a stylised landscape  -  The collaged background of the tag has torn pieces of watercolour art rejects, painted magazine pages and a little bit of gift paper. The tree silhouette is decorated with paper  dots, cut with a hole puncher. 

"Temari Or Not Temari?" Tutorial

 Background Information:  Temari (literally translated “hand ball”) is a Japanese folk craft that is alleged to have originated in China and was introduced to Japan five or six hundred years ago. Traditionally, the balls were constructed from wrapped kimono fabric remnants and silk threads. They were made by mothers and grandmothers for children to play with. Nowadays, decorative embroidered temari represent a highly valued and cherished gift symbolizing friendship and loyalty. Recently I've wondered if your don't use traditional techniques whether you should call what you create "temari". That is an ongoing debate but today I share what I do to make a "non-traditional temari".... 1.I start  with a polystrene ball ( traditionally the balls were wound  silk scraps or other organic materials) and begin to wrap with approx 4 ply wool, turning the ball as I wrap.  2. I then wrap another layer of wool in a similar fashion , this time a 3 or 2 ...