Skip to main content

Sunshine with black and white -#the100dayproject 18 - 24

from 2022 #the100dayproject- Wilma Simmons 

 

When I see or use a bright yellow, it resonates energy, joy, and happiness.  It is no wonder that in the colour prompts, this yellow is called "sunshine" ... If you haven't been following, I am participating in #the100dayproject, an art challenge, where participants for 100 consecutive days make art for a short period of time daily, using  their own chosen techniques in their self designed project. 



I've chosen to respond to the weekly colour prompts #coloricombo , curated by Este Macleod. This particular one  ( black, white and sunshine) is inspired by and is a tribute to the iconic Iris Apfel ( 1921 -2024) ,  who was an American businesswoman, interior designer, and fashion designer, known for her flamboyant style, outspoken personality and oversized eyeglasses. In business with her husband, Carl, from 1950 to 1992, Apfel had a career in textiles, including a contract with the White House that spanned nine presidencies. In retirement, she drew acclaim for a 2005 show at the Costume Institute at The Metropolitan Museum of Art featuring her collection of costume jewelry and styled with clothes on mannequins as she would wear them. She became a fashion icon, was the focus of the 2014 Albert Maysles documentary Iris, then signed to IMG in 2019 as a model at age 97. ( text from Wikipedia; image from Este Macleod ) 

#18/100 2024 


I started the week well with a water colour and paper collage, with a fabric applique and stitching. However, this year, I am very conscious of the time I allocate myself for this project. This is part of the challenge, to create art in a snatch of time which I set for this project, while I have so many others vying for my attention.  The next day,  with a lot going in I settled for setting up my fun lemon earrings against one of my favourite and snapped it. Not very creative , but a response on a day when I was feeling rather "stretched" 

#19/100 2024 

The next days followed with small paper collages which I really enjoy making and which offer their own challenge because of the shapes and size. 

#20/100 2024 8 March 

Besides my recognition of International Women's Day, this little series became nature/environment themed. not by design, but somehow the postage stamps in this colour palette seemed all to relate to the natural world. You will have noticed that the first image in this post relates back to 2022 when I used postage stamps in another #the100dayproject  - the same stamp popped up again... and it is one of my favourite series of Australian bird stamps. 

#21/100 2024 

#22/100 2024 

#23/100 2024 

The last of these circular collages highlights a stamp which seems to be the odd one out... it really does fit with this theme. It is one of the stamps issued in Australia in 1976 to raise awareness of environmental dangers . The were bushfires, pollution and road safety. I think it's interesting that almost fifty years later, climate  change is still the major issue threatening human well being, and the  number of road accident deaths is still a concern as we prepare for a transition to electrical vehicles. 

#24/100 2024 


Watch this space for more progress in this project and or review 
other posts in this #the100dayproject2024 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Precious to Waste

 Stitched tea bags/ old doily "tea lights" - Wilma Simmons  More than a year ago, a decision was made.  The annual exhibition of NCEATA ( Newcastle Creative Embroiderers and Textile Artists) 2015-2016 will have the theme "Mottainai". Mottainai in Japanese refers to more than just physical waste (resources). It is even used to refer to thought patterns that give rise to wasteful action. Grammatically, it can be used in Japanese as an exclamation ("mottainai!") or as an adjective phrase ("it feels mottainai"). There is no plural form. The collection of mottainai things could be called mottainai koto ( もったいない事 ? ). As an exclamation ("mottainai!") it means roughly "what a waste!" or "Don't waste." [2]  A simple English equivalent is the saying "waste not, want not." A more elaborate meaning conveys a sense of value and worthiness and may be translated as "do not destroy (or lay waste to) that

'Anything Goes" and It Does Matter.

 When 'anything goes", does it follow that "nothing matters" ? .... I think not.  When I interpret "anything goes", I think it means taking a few risks and experiment, but also care about what you are doing and finding a purpose in the process.  Currently, the Tag Tuesday theme is "Anything Goes" ... This describes my daily art practice at the moment. I am doing #the100dayproject and each day I am responding to weekly published colour prompts #coloricombo, curated by  artist, Este McLeod.  During the last week, the suggested colours were jade green, primrose, vermillion and  purple grey.  Each day, I've been trying to experiment with colour and technique with the goal of developing and learning.  Here are some of the tags I created using these colours, or at least as close as I could manage with stuff from my stash...  I have titled these "Fragments from Afar" as all of them feature an image or a postage stamp from somewhere far from

Wednesday's Child /2

Work in Progress - 3 of the 193 for "Stitched Up"- Wilma Simmons   The work for the "Stitched Up " Project  continues. See the previous "Wednesday Child" post for the background to this art project celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Newcastle Industrial School. I have been documenting the progress of my work, so I thought it might be interesting to share some of the early stages of the "stick dolls" ... Here are some of the beginning steps.. Sticks collected while walking the bushland in my neighbourhood  Drying and getting rid of any insects - oven heat 75 degreesC for approx 1-2 hours.  Trimmed and cut if necessary  Ends sealed with matte sealing solution.  Drying  - solution goes on white but dries clear.  First wrapping - foil to create a body shape  Second wrapping - stretch fabric.  Third wrapping - fabric strips  Some stitching - more stitching and embellishment to come.  Follow thi